Problem: My smart sensor data shows a -888.888 for a good portion of the data file.
Note: -888.888 means that the logger could not find the smart sensor after the logger was launched successfully.
- Sensor is unplugged
- Corrosion due to water damage in smart sensor housing
- Corrosion on RJ 12 connector in logger
- Cut obus cord (wire connected from logger to smart sensor housing)
- Direct or nearby lightning strike
- Relaunch solution:
- Most of the time you can relaunch the logger and this error will clear. (There is nothing you can do about past data.)
- Corrosion solution:
- Clean off corrosion and let dry.
- Use drip loop in the installation so water will not wick into smart sensor.
- Cut wire solution:
- Reattach wires matching the wire colors.
- Seal connections and relaunch.
- Lightning Strike:
- Make sure logger is grounded properly. We provide a 4-ft grounding rod but this might not be enough. Electrical code now requires 2 x 8 ft rods placed 6 feet apart.
If you need to repair a cable, use the attached files to help.
If you do not have a PDF viewer, please follow this link http://get.adobe.com/reader/