Problem: My Smart Sensor data shows a -888.888 for a good portion of the data file.
-888.888 means that the logger cannot get a response from the Smart Sensor (after launch)
- Sensor is unplugged
- Corrosion in Smart Sensor housing, due to water damage
- Corrosion on RJ 12 connector in logger
- Cut Obus cord (wire connected from logger to Smart Sensor housing)
- Damaged or disconnected smart extension cable
- Direct or nearby lightning strike
- Relaunch the logger and the error may clear - however, we would suggest inspecting the sensor and keeping an eye on the data for future errors.
- For corrosion: clean off corrosion and let dry. Use a drip loop in the installation so water will not wick into the Smart Sensor.
- For cut wire: reattach wires matching the wire colors; seal connections and re-launch the logger.
- For lightning strike: make sure the logger is grounded properly. Electrical code requires 2 x 8 ft rods placed 6 feet apart.