Onset Publishes White Paper on Managing Carbon Dioxide Risk
BOURNE, MA, October 27, 2016 – Scientific and medical research links carbon dioxide (CO2) levels to discomfort and lost productivity among occupants in offices, schools, healthcare facilities, and dwellings. Facility managers and building engineers are often responsible for ensuring optimal ventilation in these spacesm, yet many are unfamiliar with the methods for achieving such control. To address this issue, Onset, a world leader in data loggers, has published a new white paper that examines the risks of elevated carbon dioxide and how data loggers can be used to cost-effectively monitor CO2 and maintain safe levels.
Managing Carbon Dioxide Risk
The Onset white paper, “Managing Carbon Dioxide Risk: What You Should Know,” was developed by Greg Lowitz, founder and CEO of Buildera. Lowitz is a globally-recognized expert in structural monitoring, including indoor building air quality analysis, crack measurement, and energy and water resource management. The white paper can be downloaded at /files/whitepaper/Managing-Carbon-Dioxide-Risk-What-You-Should-Know.pdf.
Lowitz begins by discussing how CO2 concentration is a key indicator of indoor-air quality and ventilation effectiveness in work and living spaces. He then examines the risks associated with high indoor CO2 levels, such as sick-building syndrome, poor occupant health, and cognitive impairment and dysfunction. Next Lowitz examines how CO2 data loggers provide a cost-effective solution for detecting and managing indoor CO2 concentration levels in real time, providing benefits such as:
- Improved mechanical ventilation and air flow
- Injection of fresh outdoor air via energy-efficient heat exchangers
- Judicious use of operable windows and ceiling fans to promote better air circulation
- Reduction or mitigation of the internal CO2-producing source
Lowitz also provides data logger mounting recommendations along with an overview of calibration options and differential options. Additionally, he provides selection criteria for evaluating CO2 data loggers, including:
- Bluetooth Low Energy (BLE) technology for enabling mobile devices to retrieve data and logger status quickly and conveniently
- An LCD display and programmable alerts about CO2 levels and other parameters to provide timely updates and enable corrective action
- A long six-month battery life that enables data loggers to be set up where no AC power exists
- An integrated USB port to provide greater flexibility in data access and analysis
- Support for both manual and automated calibration without special gases
Onset Computer Corporation
1-800-564-4377 / 508-759-9500
Onset is a leading supplier and trusted manufacturer of data loggers and monitoring solutions used to measure, record, and manage data for improving the environment and preserving the quality of temperature-sensitive products. Based on Cape Cod, Massachusetts, Onset has been designing and manufacturing its products on site since the company's founding in 1981.