BOURNE, MA, June 10, 2003 — Onset Computer Corporation, the leader in reliable, battery-powered data loggers and weather stations, today introduced the HOBO® Soil Monitoring Station, a highly cost-effective, multi-channel data logger for measuring and recording soil moisture and temperature on farms, orchards, vineyards, and other field sites. Priced significantly lower than comparable soil monitoring solutions, the HOBO Soil Monitoring Station is ideal for applications where soil data needs to be collected in multiple locations, and then later analyzed on a PC. Targeted applications include irrigation scheduling, plant research, and soil studies.
The Soil Monitoring Station is based on smart sensor technology, making it easy for farmers and researchers to collect critical soil information. Users can plug in any combination of up to four research-grade soil moisture and temperature smart sensors, which are automatically recognized by the station without complicated wiring, programming, or calibration requirements.
Other important features include:
- Compact size
- The Soil Monitoring Station's compact design (the unit measures only 3.5"W x 4.5"H x 2.125"D) makes it easy to position it in, or near, the soil sites being monitored. Additionally, the soil moisture and temperature smart sensors are both designed with a thin profile for easy installation in soil.
- Battery-powered operation
- The Station can run for up to one year on four user-replaceable AA batteries. This eliminates the need for costly solar panels or large battery packs, and makes it easy to deploy the Station wherever it is needed — even in shady or buried locations.
- Convenient data offload options
- Soil data can be quickly and easily offloaded onto a handheld PC using Onset's Palm™ handheld-compatible HandCar™ 1.1, or the Station can be set up and offloaded remotely using Onset's new battery-powered Remote Modem accessory.
For analyzing soil data, Onset offers BoxCar® Pro 4.3, an easy-to-use, Windows-based software package that enables fast, easy set up, powerful graphing and analysis, and file export.
Evan Lubofsky, Director of Marketing
Onset Computer Corporation
Direct Tel. (508) 743-3181
email: Evan Lubofsky
About Onset Computer:
Onset Computer Corporation has been producing small, inexpensive, battery-powered data loggers since 1981, and has sold over 1 Million units used throughout the world by more than 50,000 customers. Onset offers more than 60 models of data loggers to measure temperature, humidity, rainfall, wind, barometric pressure, light, AC current, carbon monoxide, 4-20 mA, voltage, on/off, open/closed, and events. Onset data loggers are used in a wide range of research, commercial and educational applications including agriculture, forestry, field biology, food production, manufacturing, transportation, and HVAC. NASA used HOBOs to measure space suit temperatures during spacewalks.